Family Combination Continues To Run
Auburn's Oldest Firm
Auburn News - 1953
Each week Auburn News will feature at least one Auburn business firm, and
for this first issue it seemed appropriate to "scatter the flowers" around
Aull and Company since it is believed to be the oldest continuous firm in
Established in April of 1885 by Dr. Thomas Aull, who came here from
Hartford, Ky., the firm has been kept in the family through 68 years of
progress. It has now reached the point that it would be a credit to many
much larger trading centers.
In 1890, Dr. Aull sold his father, Dr. A. S. Aull, Ohio County, an
interest in the business. The latter had been in business at Sulphur Springs
Then in the spring of 1900, A. Johnson, a young son-in-law of Dr. A. S.
Aull, moved to Auburn and bought out his brother-in-law's interest in the
store which, at that time, was located on the corner where the bank building
Shortly after "Doc" Johnson, as he is affectionately referred to by the
young and old, entered the business, they purchased the present site and
added a new store to a thriving little community.
Always kindly known for their liberal attitude toward those who were
unable to enjoy good living conditions, Dr. Aull and Dr. Johnson were
continually busy in trying to better community conditions. They were active
in the affairs of the Methodist church, both serving on the official board
for many years.
After the era of Dr. Aull and his son-in-law, another such combination
was formed when the former sold his interest in the business in 1917 to Dr.
Johnson's son-in-law, Roger Clark, Russellville. They still own the business
with Clark doing most of the managing while Dr. Johnson continues to fill
prescriptions at the Auburn Drug company, a part of Aull & Company which was
sold in 1946 to Edgar and J. W. Harris, Stone Mountain, Ga.
The latter Harris died in 1950, and Dr. Aull died in the 1920s.
After selling the drug department of the company, the family combination
enlarged other departments and, today, displays a large selection of
merchandise-hardware and clothing.
Dr. Johnson, filler of prescriptions for 53 years in Auburn, told this
reporter that few persons know that the initial "A" stands for Adolphus. He
is the oldest Auburn merchant, he says, and expects to continue in this
capacity for many more years.
Clark, 65, is a native of Auburn but moved to Russellville when he was
13. He married the former Miss Myrhl Johnson in 1915. Their only child, a
daughter died at the age of 23.
Clark is an ardent sportsman, always taking an active part in hunting and
fishing. He holds membership in three hunting and fishing clubs. He is an
Also a Methodist, Clark is a trustee, treasurer, and member of the board
of stewards of the Auburn congregation. He and Mrs. Clark make their home on
Pearl Street, where he and his father have owned at various times all the
houses on one side of the street but two.